Friday, January 9, 2009

Beer of the week #3

Better late than never my friends! This week we tried two different beers during our session.

The first one was Unibroue's Trois Pistoles. I found it pretty good but not as good as "La Fin du Monde" (one of the breweries other strong beer). I found its taste pretty strong. And coming with 9% alcohol, you don’t want to drink too much of this one ;)

The second beer we had was perhaps the most unique I have ever tasted. Its name is "Golden Draak" and it is a Belgium beer with 10.5% alcohol. Some high % beers manage to pull it off without that overwhelming "rubbing alcohol taste" but Golden Draak didn’t care much to hide it. In fact, it must be brewed to make that taste even more pronounced from the looks of it. To balance it out, it is also very sweet which was kind of odd too. As weird as it may seem: I found it actually tasted good :). Overall I rate this beer as "So whacky you HAVE to try it at least once".
Talk to you next week!

3 comments:

Bongoo said...

Yes, the famous Golden Draak, definitely unique... :)

As for Unibroue, my current favorites are:
1. La Fin du Monde
2. Maudite
3. Ephémère Pomme
4. Blanche de Chambly
5. Trois Pistoles
6. Don de Dieu
7. Raftman

DMan3021 said...

I found that my first sip of Golden Draak was horrible, yet my second one was pleasant. Does that mean it may have destroyed my taste buds?

Bongoo said...

Heh possibly...