Sunday, February 1, 2009

Beer of the week #6

A bit late once again (especially considering our session was Tuesday last week!) but I present to you a few great beers and one awful beer:

1) Griffon Rousse: A good reddish-brown beer with practically no alcohol (4.5%). It had a good nutty taste and wasn't too strong.

2) Try to pronounce this one very fast: Black Riggwelter. On the bottle it describes that name as meaning a sheep that fell on its back and can’t get up... At first it tasted like a very mild tasting stout (5.6% alcohol). But then, as the aftertaste slowly came, I felt like that sheep on its back... Be careful! Have some food ready if you try this one.

3) Now comes the time to announce the best stout in the world! Old Engine Oil! That’s right, don’t let the name fool you... :) The last time I found this Scottish beer in stock was last summer so as soon as I found it on the shelf, I bought pretty much all I + Raikan could carry! This 6% stout has a very pronounced taste and has the perfect balance of taste, texture and smell.

3 comments:

Bongoo said...

Yes, Old Engine Oil is a great beer. It's probably my favorite stout as well, with St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout a close second.

Phoenix5096 said...

we'll have celebration oil next time we pass HPPRB

Bongoo said...

Heh, great idea!